Family Group Sheets

Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Sacred Harp Singers (Swanson)

The Sacred Harp

A Collection of Psalm and Hymns, Tunes, Odes and Anthems
(Publication date believed to be 1869)


Music has always been the very heartbeat of my family, as far back as I can remember, there was music playing and someone dancing. So when my dear cousin Nita Foster Ayers shared the pages of this Hymnal with me, I was ecstatic. My 3rd great grandfather, John T. Swanson (1822-1889), wrote his name many times on the pages of this hymnal. Was he practicing his penmanship or claiming ownership? On yet another page, is the signature of his son, my great great grandfather G. W. Swanson. It also includes a beautiful “doodle” incorporating the name “Swanson”. 

“Awake My Soul”















This is a link to a trailer for a movie documentary about Sacred Harp Singing.


Side Note: After the passing of my elderly neighbor, a few Sacred Harp Hymnals were found among his belongings. It brought to mind mornings when I would here him singing gospel music with a record playing, as he was going about his daily chores, or better yet, singing at the top of his lungs while mowing the lawn. Being your neighbor was a blessing Mr. Harold Stark.





The Sacred Harp, an oblong songbook first published in 1844 by B.F. White and E. J. King

No comments:

Post a Comment