Family Group Sheets

Thursday, March 3, 2016

You Can't Change History...


I am from the deep south. I was born there and lived there until 1982. As a result, it is with a heavy heart that I am aware that many of my ancestors owned slaves. It was something I knew in my heart, but was unprepared for the emotions that squirmed their way to the surface of my soul the first time I saw proof.  I can't change history. I can't apologize for the actions of my forefathers. They were living and fighting for what they knew. I can help in any way possible, to recreate the families of so many people who were separated by slavery, who have no idea who their 3rd great grandfather was because   until 1870, if he was a slave, he was not listed by name in a census record.

While traveling through this genealogical DNA journey,  I have discovered many cousins, linked by DNA, who are likely descendants of my slaveholders and their slaves. Typing these words makes my heart weep. I would like to fantasize that it was "love", but I am not so naive. I pray they are the product of boundless love in recent generations.

I have decided to take on a project to list the slaves of my ancestors, who are mentioned in any way in their wills or in other documents. Since many slaves were given or took the last name of their owners, I am hoping that through this project I may join at least one person with an ancestor they have not yet found. 

It know it is a miniscule gesture, but it well help to heal my sadness, at least in a very small way, to try to give back an ancestor that was taken from one of my DNA cousins. 


No comments:

Post a Comment